- Facilitating the development of inter-regional partnerships and thereby encouraging the exchange of experience and the transfer of know-how and technology.
- Lobbying the European institutions on behalf of regional and local communities concerning relevant energy and environmental issues.
- Promoting the regional dimension in debates concerning energy and the environment by placing particular emphasis on demand and local supply and the pursuit of sustainable development.
- Helping regions develop their capacity to take action, and, amongst other things, assisting them in the creation of energy and/or environmental organisations.
- Organising working groups in order to encourage exchange of experience and transfer of know-how.
- Providing an ongoing information service to the members.
- Acting as a centre for the dissemination of information both to its members and to European Institutions.
- Providing technical expertise to European organisations.
- Preparing position papers on European legislation and programmes.
- Giving advice on relevant programmes and funding possibilities. Assisting in the formulation of project proposals and the creation of partnerships.