Energap - Energy Agency of Podravje
Smetanova ulica 31
Phone: +386 2 234 23 60
Fax: +386 2 234 23 61
Director: dr. Vlasta KRMELJ
The Energap - Energy Agency of Podravje - Institut for sustainable energy use was established in June 2006 and is cofinanced by European Commision programme Intelegent Energy Europe. Energap covers the area of Municipality of Maribor and 17 smaller municipalities in Podravje region together around 200.000 inhabitants. Maribor is the second biggest town in Slovenia. Municipality of Maribor with its energy agency of Podravje is one of the most advanced local authorities in sustainable energy management in Slovenia. Maribor has been the European capital of Culture in 2012.
Energap vision is, together with experts, to prepare an effective energy strategy and lay the foundation for its implementation in the Drava region and establish a center projects, knowledge and ideas that lead into the future, based on the principles of sustainable development. The mission of the Agency is the dissemination of knowledge and active in the field of energy efficiency (EE) and renewable energy sources (RES). The Agency helps develop ideas, projects and deepening knowledge for energy efficiency and use of renewable energy, which leads to a reduction in emissions gases, mainly in areas where market mechanisms are not sufficiently effective. Citizens and businesses are considered means of energy management, which are key to lowering energy costs and increase the competitiveness of the business sector. The Agency provides assistance in the interpretation and implementation of European and Slovenian legislation at the local level as well as assistance in obtaining financial resources, particularly in the area of investment in RES and RUE.
Objectives and Activities
Energap is regional centre of knowledge and ideas. It support the introduction of good energy management practices, advocate the concept of sustainability, provide information and guidance, and offer a number of other local services based on specific local energy needs. Energap operate impartially on both energy demand and supply issues and reflect the local situations, economic and social circumstances and the geographical size of the relevant local area.
- Information, advice and training on energy management issues.
- Support for the implementation of local/regional energy plans.
- Energy audits of public and private buildings.
- Raising awareness on energy efficiency, renewable energy sources and transport issues.
- Search for energy-management incentive funds at national and international level.
Energap can give wide-ranging advice on all aspects of energy, as well as technical assistance in the design of energy projects, heritage and infrastructure and provision of public information on these topics. The Energap acts as a contact point for relations with European networks and institutions as well as an intermediary to local, regional and national players. Energap has also the function of energy manager for Municipality of Maribor for local communities in order to carry out all activities and to achieve the goals set in the local energy concept.
On April 2011, the Mayor of Maribor signed a declaration to the Covenant of Mayor with the help of Energap. The city of Maribor committed to reach the sustainable energy aims: more than 20% savings and more than 30% of renewable energies and to reduce CO2 emissions. It has also committed to implement the tasks devoted adequate human resources, to encourage civil society in their geographical areas to take part in implementing the action plan, including the organization of local energy days, and will be mutually connected with other cities.
Energap won Managenergy local action award in 2010 as one of the three best practices for central management energy system for Maribor, the second biggest in Slovenia and the same project was nominated as the best energy efficient project in Slovenia for 2010.
Energap constantly and actively operated in the fields of information and raising awareness of citizens and the wider public since the year 2006. Special attention is given to informing the public of special theme world days and on such occasions we also organize special activities: expert excursion, publications in media, providing information and advices on the stand in city center, workshops for schools, organizing prize games and so on.
Promotional campaigns to encourage citizens to change their everyday behaviour, to think about possible changes in their lifestyle and to think about possible investments for the purpose of reducing energy consumption can be effective in mobilizing citizens to achieve this potential. Energap implemented two very high profile awareness campaigns. First called Ice challenge was undertaken in spring 2012 with the purpose to present the importance of energy efficiency in practice – the impact of a well – insulated – low energy or passive house. Model of ˝insulated house˝ with the best characteristic of insulated passive house was filled with a mass of 1m3 of ice and placed on one of the most frequent places in the city center. During one month of campaign citizens were challenged to try their suggestions about the amount of water that will run out from the house after one month shown how much ice was melted. Second campaign called 1 tone of CO2 was undertaken in spring 2013. The main object of the campaign was 8.22 m high cube representing the volume of 1 tone CO2 placed at one of the main city square. Purpose of the campaign was visualization of the CO2 connected to the energy use and at the same time highlights the possibilities to reduce emissions. More than 100.000 people were reached during each campaign and lot of them was actively involved in specific activities.
Energap was in 2013, twice nominated for the recognition by the European Commission - "Sustainable Energy Europe Award" and "Managenergy Local Energy Action Award 2013". First, as one of the top five projects at EU level in the context of awareness and education in the field of energy efficiency and use of renewable energy sources and, secondly, as one of the best 10 projects for activities implemented at the local level.
Energap is also very active in the field of education for pupils and teachers in primary and secondary schools. Ensuring all citizens are ‘energy aware’ is a key factor, and the role of education and information initiatives are crucial. Education has a strategic role in improving energy efficiency. The use of initiatives in schools to promote energy awareness and inspire changes in behaviour links with many aspects of the formal educational curriculum.
The Energap acts as a contact point for relations with European networks and institutions as well as an intermediary to local, regional and national players. Energap is involved in many local and national projects. The Agency also cooperates in a lot of EU cofinanced projects. Below you can fiind some of them:
- »Madegascar« - Introduction of the natural gas and biogas in the cars
- »Benefit« - Promotion of public transport
- »Minus 3%« - Energy efficiency in public buildings
- »ICT21EE« - Information and communication technologies in energy efficiency
- »SO-PRO« - Solar Process Heat, Newsletter 1
- »See-Hydropower« - targeted to improve water resource management for a growing renewable
- »RETS« - Renewable Energies Transfer System
- "LEAP" - Leadership for Energy Action and Planning
- "ADVANCE" - Auditing and certification scheme to increase the quality of sustainable urban mobility plans in cities
- " INVOLVE" - Involving the private sector in Mobility
- " OCR" - Sustainable developing in street lightning
- " GREEN PARTNERSHIPS" - Local partnerships for greener cities and regions
- "EnVision 2020" - Energy Vision 2020 for South East European Cities
- "EPC - Streetlight" - The project will create demand and supply for EPC projects in 9 regions by setting up regional EPC facilitation services
- "Emobility Works" - The project will encourage municipalities to create new partnerships with the private sector, such as energy companies and vehicle manufacturers
- "Bioregia" - Green cross-border region" is aimed at increasing the competitiveness and sustainable economic development of the whole border area covered by the project
- "moiDOM" - The main purpose of the project was to be able through the e-Services of mOIDom discovered why is our neighbor more environmentally efficient from us, and to get more advice on how to raise our environmental competitiveness and thus save our costs.
- " frontierCities" - The project which will support web-developers, SMEs and start-ups develop smart mobility applications for cities across Europe.