FIRST CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT
Communicating Energy and Climate Science:
Why should youth, science and business meet?
Jokkmokk, Norrbotten, Sweden
2 February – 4 February 2015
Ája – Ájtte Sámi Museum
Main Issues 2015:
We are living in a complex world, and the worldwide debate about climate change and sustainable energy is an excellent example of how multifaceted and difficult decision making for society can be. It is therefore, why academics and researchers are increasingly aware of the importance of communicating their work to a wider audience. At the other side, society is eager to learn more about smart solutions to difficult problems, but still, transfer from research into practice decision making in business and politics is not always happening.
Jokkmokk Winter Conference 2015 therefore focuses on the following issues:
- Climate Change and Energy: Defining the challenge for the North
- Public engagement with science – what makes conversations with the public meaningful?
- How to share ideas and best practice: from educating to engaging
- Why youth engagement is key for sustainable development in the North
- Re-Thinking Jokkmokk Winter Conference and developing a future concept as meeting place for young researchers, indigenous peoples and the public
Jokkmokk Winter Conference provides a forum where students, young professionals, indigenous peoples, environmentalists and entrepreneurs:
- Establish relationships with senior experts and politicians
- Present own activities and form new collaborations and partnerships
- Get new knowledge, experience and adventure in a unique environment at the Polar Circle.
- Why should you take part?
- Meet inspiring speakers, and learn about climate change and solutions for a sustainable development;
- Make new friends, establish new contacts and explore the traditional Sámi Winter Market;
- Meet decision makers and make them aware of your demand, questions and requirements;
- Acquire skills to share your views on energy and climate issues with others.
Call for projects
One of the afternoons during the conference is designed to showcase projects and activities. This will be a perfect opportunity to meet with other young researchers, participating senior experts and possible business partners. Participants will present their own projects in a session that will facilitate and encourage open dialog and idea exchanges. If you have a project, research work or a sustainable business idea, present your idea in a few lines to firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply?
Send an email to email@example.com and register your interest!
Jokkmokk Winter Market:
Jokkmokk Winter Conference is coordinated with the international Jokkmokk Winter Market, a legendary impressive traditional Sami event since 1605 that attracts 40.000-50.000 visitors each year!
Jokkmokk Winter Conference is initiated and organized by the municipality of Jokkmokk in cooperation with a broad range of partners, among others: the Northern Research Forum; the University of Lapland, Rovaniemi; University of Tromsø; University of Oulu; Thule Institute Finland; Norrbotten County; Association of Polar Early Career Scientists; Föreningen Nordens Ungdom; Nenet Norrbottens Energy Agency; VINN Norway; Oulu Arc Region; Övertorneå municipality; Ajtte museum; Association of Swedish Eco Municipalities; Swedish Society for Nature Conservation and Intelligent Energy Europe co-funded IEE projects COOPENERGY and Data4Action.
with the support of :
In cooperation with: