6 months from September 2016 with possibility of extension – Full-time employment
FEDARENE is a non-profit association gathering energy agencies and regional authorities working towards a sustainable energy transition. Its activities are coordinated by an office based in Brussels.
FEDARENE is an active member of the consortium that runs the Covenant of Mayors Office (CoMO) together with European local government networks. The Covenant of Mayors is an initiative of the European Commission, DG ENERGY, directed to local authorities committed to reduce their CO2 emissions by more than 40% by 2030. The CoMO assists municipalities, provinces and regions involved in implementing their commitments and is also in charge of the promotion of the initiative in the EU and beyond.
FEDARENE is particularly involved in the organisation of capacity building events, in developing and implementing the strategy for Italy and in the liaison with Covenant Territorial Coordinators, which are provincial and regional authorities committed to support municipalities involved in the Covenant.
The project officer will deliver FEDARENE’s tasks in the CoMO for the remaining time of the project until December 2016 and help with the final technical and financial report in early 2017.
In particular, he/she will be responsible for the overall project execution and deliver the following tasks:
Events organisation: the project officer will be expected to lead on the organisation of conferences, webinars and capacity building workshops. In addition, she/he will participate in the promotion of the Covenant of Mayors at relevant events;
Helpdesk for Covenant Coordinators: the project officer will be responsible for the liaison with Covenant Coordinators (mainly provinces and regions). This includes drafting the 2016 implementation report, some case studies and handling all requests coming from Covenant Territorial Coordinators;
Project management: the project officer will monitor and report on FEDARENE’s involvement in the CoMO and represent FEDARENE at meetings and Covenant steering committees.
In addition, the officer will support the team of the FEDARENE Brussels Office and contribute to its daily work (e.g. assisting in the management of EU projects, participating and representing FEDARENE in various events and meetings).
- fluency in spoken and written English, proficiency/very good command in Spanish would be a must for this specific position, knowledge of French or Italian an asset
- strong communication and analytical skills in written, small-group, training and public-speaking formats
- ability to deeply understand complex technical issues and to translate them for a broader public understanding,
- good command of common office softwares such as MS Office, and especially MS Excel
- ability to work with a high level of initiative and autonomy when required
- ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
- capacity to travel for work and reasonable flexibility in working time.
Preferred education & experience:
- experience in supporting local climate and sustainable energy actions developed and implemented by local and/or regional authorities
- experience and expertise in project/programme development, preferably in an EU context
- experience in financial reporting for EU projects
- knowledge of EU institutions, processes and decision-making structures
- a Master degree in a relevant field (e.g. environment / energy / climate change, town and regional planning)
Contract: The contract will be made between the individual and FEDARENE under the Belgian law.
The corresponding assignment is based on a 6-month (full-time) contract and will start at the earliest on 1st September 2016. The contract might be transformed into a longer term period.
Selected candidates will be invited to an interview which will be held in August in Brussels.
FEDARENE offers a benefits package (incl. paid leave / ‘pécule de vacances’ & restaurant vouchers) and a positive working environment.
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Application: Applicants must have the legal right to be employed in Belgium.
To apply, please send a cover letter and your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 10 August 2016 – Only short–listed candidates will be contacted, interviews will be held in Brussels late August 2016.